Phoenix Criminal Defense Lawyer Aaron Black in Phoenix, AZ
I was raised in Phoenix, Arizona, and attended Brophy College Preparatory. I played football for the Brophy Broncos. I started at both inside linebacker and offensive guard.
For those of you who are new to Phoenix, Brophy is the only Catholic, Jesuit high school in Arizona; they strive to educate the whole person through rigorous academics and innovative technology.
After graduating from Brophy, I attended the University of Arizona, where I majored in Political Science.
While in college, I was a player and the president of Arizona Rugby Football Club. Upon graduating from college, I decided to pursue a Law Degree. Following a long family tradition, I attended the University of South Dakota, where I focused my studies on becoming a criminal defense attorney. While obtaining an excellent education, I spent time on the South Dakota family farm hunting and fishing.
I graduated from the University of Arizona in 2003 with a Bachelor's Degree and 2006 from the University of South Dakota with a J.D. (Juris Doctor.) In simple terms, a J.D. is a Doctorate in Law.
Office of the Maricopa County Public Defender
I was quickly employed by the Office of the Maricopa County Public Defender after passing both the Arizona and South Dakota Bar Exams. During this time, I became more confident that being a prosecutor was not something that I wanted to pursue.
Like an overzealous prosecutor, I have never had a desire to ruin anyone's life by putting them in jail because they made a mistake. During my time as a public defender, I realized my passion was working on DUI and Criminal Defense cases in Arizona
As a Deputy Public Defender, I defended hundreds of individuals charged with serious felony offenses, including the following.
It was during this time that I honed my skills as a defense lawyer.
Defending My Clients Rights
Overall I look at my job as a Criminal Defense Attorney as a check and balance on the Police, Prosecution, and Courts.
I genuinely enjoy protecting my clients so that they do not get convicted of a crime by the Government with undue haste.
My focus is on the fact that we all have Constitutional Rights, and I am proud that I can guarantee my clients' rights are protected while in the court system.
I defend my clients for the following reasons.
- To uphold the U.S. Constitution
- To protect the accused from the excesses of law enforcement
- Because it truly is satisfying to help those in trouble
I do not care if my client committed a crime, and it's not even a question that I ask. What I focus on is if the Government can prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt.
Reasonable doubt is a doubt based upon reason and common sense, rather than being based purely on speculation.
Good people sometimes find themselves in bad situations, and to me, that does not mean that those caught in a bad situation are criminals or even guilty of a crime.
Experience in the Courtroom Matters!
I have spent countless hours in the courtroom, argued over 55 jury trials, tried over 120 bench trials, and became a highly experienced litigator. My trial experience sharpened my litigation skills, giving me invaluable insight into the legal system and proudly making me one of the premier defense attorneys in Phoenix, Arizona.
I started my private practice as a criminal and DUI defense lawyer in 2011. Although my office is located in Phoenix, I represent clients in all Arizona justice, municipal, state, county and federal courts.
I am licensed to practice law in the states of Arizona and South Dakota.
Why I choose to Defend Criminals
Often I am asked why I want to defend criminals. Not a strange question considering the violence, degradation, and decay of civility in our society today. Nor is it a surprise considering the intolerant attitudes held by many toward those accused of crimes, in some ways primed by crime news and true-crime TV shows.
Making sure that my clients get a fair trial is my mission, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
- The State Bar of Arizona
- The State Bar of South Dakota
- American Bar Association
- Arizona Attorneys for Criminal Justice - Former Board of Governors
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers - Member
- Maricopa County Bar Association
Law Firm Achievements
- AVVO.com rates the Law Office of Aaron Black as a Superb 10.0 Lawyer.
- Law Office of Aaron Black is rated by Martindale-Hubbel as an AV - Preeminent Lawyer; the highest level of professional excellence.
- In 2015 Aaron Black was inducted into the National Association of Distinguished Counsel.
I am now in the company of the Top 1% of the finest lawyers in the country. This is a four-level selection process that includes consideration by a blue-ribbon panel of attorneys and a judicial review board led by a group of former judges.
- The National Advocacy for DUI Defense recognized the Law Office of Aaron Black as one of the Top DUI Defense Lawyers in Arizona.
- In 2016 I was the ONLY lawyer to be recognized as a DUI Super Lawyer in the Greater Phoenix Area. Only three DUI lawyers were selected in Arizona and New Mexico.
- In 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, and 2014, Southwest Super Lawyer Magazine named the Law Office of Aaron Black a Super Lawyer in Criminal: DUI Defense.
I’m proud to say that very few lawyers in the Phoenix area achieve such status during their careers. Many never jump from the Rising Star list to the Super Lawyer list.
- The 2013 and 2012 Southwest Super Lawyer Magazine named Aaron a Rising Star in Criminal: DUI Defense.
Super Lawyer Rising Stars are nominated by their peers, and consist of no more than the top 2.5% of lawyers in their field of law under the age of 40 in Arizona and New Mexico.
- North Valley Magazine rated me as one of the Top Valley DUI Lawyers in 2019 2018, 2014, 2013, and 2012.
- In 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014 and 2013 Aaron was recognized by The National Trial Lawyers and awarded the "Top 100 Trial Lawyers" due to my litigation skills.
"Top 100 Trial Lawyers" is an invite-only Membership offered to the most qualified attorneys in each state who demonstrate superior qualifications of reputation, influence, stature and public profile.
- The National Trial Lawyers also distinguished Aaron as a "Top 40 under 40" criminal defense lawyer due to his superior qualifications, trial results, and leadership as a young lawyer under 40 in 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014 and 2013.
Legal Speaking Engagements
I am routinely asked to share my knowledge and courtroom experience with other legal professionals. Some of my speaking engagements include:
- "The DUI Trial - Voir Dire, Openings and Closings", Winning DUI Cases Seminar, 2016
- "The Innocent and Wrongfully Accused: Making a Record for Civil Rights Lawsuits/Clearing and Sealing Records," Arizona Public Defender Association Seminar, 2016
- "Clearing Your Arrest Record after a Wrongful Arrest," 14th Annual Statewide Conference, 2016
- "Arizona DUI Law Regarding Medications and Alcohol," St. Joseph's in Service Physician Wellness Seminar, 2015
- "DUI Sentencing," Speed DUI XXVII Seminar, 2015
Representing clients in all Arizona federal, state, county and city courts, I serve clients in the following cities.
- Apache Junction
- Tempe, Arizona
To schedule a free legal consultation or learn more about my qualifications as an attorney, contact Phoenix, AZ Criminal Defense Attorney, Aaron Black
or call (480)729-1683.
Back to Top Contact Us